Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Sojourn

Never in me dreams had i thought that i would be traveling 100 kilometers per day. Well, you must call it fate. My life is bounded within 37 seats of the last first class coach towards chengalpet.For a person like me, who cannot get up from his bed before 7, there is hardly any choice. I have heard about third world countries but i am getting a glimpse of that :)

Thus, the only way to beat a monotonous journey to my work place at "WORLD CITY" is to sit near different people (As a matter of fact, the 30 odd passengers are a static group. I can know judge a station by looking at who is getting in or out of my compartment) It so happened that i met an interesting fellow passenger in train couple of weeks ago.
Looking at his ID card, i came to know that he works for SRMU tambaram.

He started a conversation with me by asking time. (Generally, the coach in which I travel has a set of tired IT folks who prefer listening to their music gadgets instead of starting a conversation with their co passenger. I also belong to this category)

I could sense that he was perturbed for some reason. He was searching through his telephone directory for a particular number. After a successful search hit, he asked me “Can I use your phone? I need to make an urgent call”

I have been in situations where my mobile was down & had to make urgent calls. So I dialed the number for him.
A kid took it. The man had called his grandchild. I could see a million dollar smile in his face. Barriers are broken when people talk. Airtel really connects people
:)

The kid hung up & he gave back my phone. He didn’t convey what he wanted to tell. I offered him my mobile & asked him to call again. This time, he was able to convey the message that he is going to their grandchildren’s place. He spoke for a couple of minutes & hung up.


He was talking to me after that. He is working @ SRMU, Tambaram and his house is near avadi. (He also travels the same distance I travel to work) He was telling that he is going to meet his grand children & give them new clothes for pongal. He was pretty much happy. This fellow also sponsors for those kid’s transport to school. With pride, he told that all his grandchildren are in studying in convent.

It was at that time I started introspecting the access of quality education to each & every Indian. In affluent families, it becomes the fundamental right of the children to have access to quality education. But, it’s not the situation everywhere. This person gives a part of his earning to his grandchildren so that their conveyance is smooth. He is happy with that.

I started comparing myself with that person. I also travel the same distance but am not doing happily.
While we were nearing tambaram, he showed me his office. He is sort of proud about his organization.(any worker in his organization would be proud as they help in millions people to have a safe commute) He was telling about the land hazels that railways face due to encroachments.

I never bother to reveal the organization to anyone as long as they ask. It is because I don’t feel that satisfied with what I do. If I turn back over the last 5 months & ask what I did, I have done nothing but a stupid data migration for a client, whom I haven’t seen.

There is a purpose for which that old person, whom I met in the train, is working for. Well, I don’t have any such responsibilities . My dad can still take care of me. I wonder why I am still working :(

Musings shall continue

2 Comments:

Blogger Jaya said...

Couldn't help leaving behind a message when I saw that you're a fellow Michael Schumacher-admirer. As for your journeys, well, it's obvious they're as repetitive as the laps of a race in Monte Carlo (without incidents)...hopefully, you'll have more interesting ones.

4:10 AM  
Blogger praky said...

machi sooooper fantastic exellent balle. i think u should take up a career in writing.... man u r too good

10:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home